Tuesday 15 September 2009

Clif Shot Roks Review

JK and I always try to time our fall Napa rides to coincide with the annual Clif Bar Epiphany Ride, their all-employee bike "retreat." Erickson has a place on the Ink Grade, and we used to fantasize about getting invited to the post-ride party. I imagined exotic dancers in a tub filled with Margarita Shot Bloks.

I like Clif food in all its textures, from the chewy bars to the semi-solid shots. I even liked Gary Erickson's book about the company. Really, I'm into everything about the brand, from products to practices.

So it was with great excitement that I bought a pack of Chocolate Clif Roks at the gym last night. The idea behind the new Rok line is to provide a bunch of protein, along with the usual carbs, to assist with recovery. They must be trying to get on the Endurox, Muscle Milk protein bandwagon. Anyway, I thought I'd give them a go.

To put it simply, they were...bleaugh. I can't speak for the other flavors, but Chocolate tastes like rancid fruit in an artificially-flavored choco shell. I think all the protein messed with my stomach a bit, too. A little hard to digest after a workout. Definitely take these with a lot of water.

On the Clif hardness scale, I'll go from gel to bars, but won't venture into Rok territory again.

No comments:

Post a Comment